Sunday, April 20, 2008

Welcome to the Working Life


powered by ODEO


Welcome to the Working Life
Music & Lyrics by Betty Chen


Sitting in a corner just passing free time
I watch the people rushing by
A penny for their thoughts, I think I’ll give a dime
Just to see what’s on their mind

The clock it never stops a-tick-tock-ticking
Every second seems to fly
So the clever man he starts a-counting
Seizing every chance he can find

Queuing here, pushing there, deadlines everywhere
Is this how they lead their lives
Just a bite, something light, staying up all night
Welcome to the working life

Careful what they say in front of the Big Head
Sharpened knives behind the smiles
But when he turns his back he might as well be dead
Murdered by their tongues running wild

Waiting here, squeezing there, gossips everywhere
Is this how they lead their lives
Take a break, keep it short, lest you lose your job
Welcome to the working life

Queuing here, pushing there, deadlines everywhere
Is this how we lead our lives
Just a bite, something light, staying up all night
Welcome to the working life

Sitting in a corner just passing free time
I see the busy world rush by
Life’s too cruel to punish us at our prime
If only it would be more kind…



What you've just heard is the recording of my performance during Songcraft's 1st Anniversary session; therefore the sound of crickets in the background muahaha.

The melody came first in late March/early April, I can't remember exactly.
Methinks it's a cute melody. Too cute for the angsty lyrics, some Songcrafters commented, heh.
Was just twinkling randomly on my keyboard and it just flowed through my fingers.

As you can tell, this song is about the worklife of an adult, particularly in Singapore.
Penned the lyrics when I was feeling the least motivated and happy with my job.

Most of the time, lyrics came to me while I was swimming; so I would be chanting the lyrics in my head while I swam and quickly texting it into my phone when I came out of the pool. Haha.

I worked really hard on the lyrics as I wanted to strive for PERFECT RHYMES this time, having received a comment from a dedicated Songcrafter who writes "perfectly rhyming" lyrics (;p) about my previously-written "imperfectly rhyming" lyrics.

I think I'm starting to agree that perfectly rhyming lyrics really do wonders to a song.


Am satisfied with this song.
Not the instrumental part, though. Think the keyboard can do more.

Some people commented it would fit in nicely in a musical.
Hmm... that's an idea ;)

2 comments:

KraM said...

hi Betty, nice to know you have written a full song.

I too like writing songs but never got the courage to face my songs as I do feel a little weird sharing them especially when am afraid it sounds horrible.

Are you good with lyrics?

Perhaps we can work something together. : )

cheers,

hideKraM

B said...

Hello hideKraM
Lemme guess, your name is Mark? ;)
Send your Music over and I'll see if I can write some lyrics to it!
Email me at bettychenpy@gmail.com