Saturday, September 22, 2007

Together Again

(Been wanting to share this song! Hee, now that I've learnt how to convert iTunes to mp3...)

An introduction first:

I wrote this piece of music in early 2002.
The year when we'd soon bid farewell to our JC classmates and school uniforms.

It was first introduced to the choir girls, while we were preparing for a farewell song for the boys. I wrote out the soprano and alto parts on 4 April 2002, 21:00.
Can't remember if we ever performed it.

The following year, before a girlfriend of mine left for her tertairy studies abroad, I had a brainwave to cut an album of songs, with the rest of my girlfriends, as a parting gift.
(I guess I wanted some means to showcase my composition, heh)

Called up a good friend, also an ex-MEP classmate in JC -
Leonard (check him out under "Talented Others"), who's a superb sound engineer and arranger, to help us out.

It was a fantastic experience though tiring as most of us were newbies at recording our voices. Thinking back now, I miss that day of recording so much!
Leonard even took a "CD front cover" shot of all six of us... how professional haha!

*

This is a cut version of the original recording as I've omitted the part where I deliver my personal message to my girlfriend.
Please bear with the little "kink" towards the end.


Vocals & Piano: Betty Chen


Together Again
Music & Lyrics by Betty Chen(2002)

When I think of wonderful times we've spent,
A smile creeps slowly to my face.
How can I forget all the times we had,
Of the laughter and the tears.

Time has passed so quickly and I regret,
For not remembering them so well.
All the joy and laughter we shared will stay,
In my heart they have a place.

So I leave you for now
With the memories so fresh,
The smile still sweet on my face.
But don't let the tears roll
'Cos you know it's not the end,
For God above will surely understand.

So I leave you now
With this song to say goodbye,
The time has come to let go.
Hold on strong to the end,
For you and I know
There's a day when we'll both meet again.

A day together once again.



Upon Leonard's urging, I did another version of it.
It's kinda "jazzed up", thanks to his accompaniment.
I quite like this as it gives an edge to the song and I liked that my vocals were stretched to the max, upping the virtuosity (like there's any, haha) a tad.


Vocals: Betty Chen
Piano: Leonard Wee


I would say this is the very first complete song I've written.
Am quite proud of it.

Still makes me feel a little sad when I listen to it now; even though my girlfriend's back, heh.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's such a beautiful song. Almost brought tears to my eyes. Maybe it's because of the background story to the song which you mentioned (i.e. farewell to JC classmates).

How come you never shared it with us all this while??? I'm sure the rest would have loved it.

B said...

Wow, thanks Jeremy!

I wanted to, during the initial sessions but hmm, I can't remember why I didn't...

Anyway here it is, at last! ;)

Firdaus said...

love the song!

reminds me of those jap drama serials theme song, hehe..

the jazzed up version is cool also!

B said...

Hee, jap drama serials???
That's a new perspective...
Thanks, Firdaus!

Anonymous said...

hey bet!
i love this song lots! nicely done, esp the jazz one..keep singing:)

chris

Anonymous said...

Thanks Chris :)

Carrie said...

Oh betty this is soo lovely
Thank you for sharing. The jazz arrangement is a very good compliment to your voice and the feelings evoked in this piece.

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much, Carrie. Your comment encourages me so :)