Saturday, September 22, 2007
The Father So Loves Me
(Presented at Songcraft 5th, 21 September 2007)
The Father So Loves Me
Music & Lyrics by Betty Chen(2007)
When I look ‘round me
I see all the wonders
The Lord God has given me
He made the tall trees
The beautiful fl’wrs
And the octopus deep in the sea
He makes the seeds
To push up from the ground
Grow into melons that are so round
He watches over the birds and the bees
They never worry ‘bout empty tummies
He knows my every need
He hears my every cry
He is the Lamp at my feet
Forever He will provide
He’s the Good Shepherd
Who watches His sheep
Even a little lamb such as me
He is my Master
I shall have no want
Only to faithfully follow His Lead
When I’m afraid
Of the devil’s attack
I simply get on my knees and pray
God sends His Angels
They’ll spread a safe net
And chase the evil spirits far away
Others may hurt
They may tease me and hit me
But I know He brings me Comfort
He heals my wounds
Covers me from all harm
And lets me sleep in His big loving arms
He knows my every need
He hears my every cry
He is the Lamp at my feet
Forever He will provide
He’s the Almighty
The Glorious king
No other one can compare to Him
But in my heart He’s my Heavenly Father
A Father who so loves me
The Father who so loves me!
*
The melody came to me one sleepless night in July. Right from the start I thought the title "Spring Song" sounds apt as it suits the carefree, cheery, fresh tune. I was picturing a young man, in Japan, walking under trees of beautiful Sakura flowers and thinking about a girl he loves.
Then the line, "When I look around me, I start to think of you..." came. But I couldn't continue.
In fact, that line doesn't sound quite "right" lyrically. If you can get what I mean.
*
After I completed my notation of the entire song, I started singing it with the "da"-syllable. Then, I played it on the Ocarina.
Hmm... nice! The sound of the instrument suits the music well.
I intended to present it during the Songcraft session in July but nerves got the better of me, as I wasn't very fluent on the tiny instrument.
*
Soon after, I developed ideas on the lyrics. I thought the first phrase was good so I continued from there and realised that if I were to write about what one sees, why not make it a praise song, singing about the Creator of the things that one sees around him/her.
Therefore the Christian lyrics unfolded.
Since it's a "cute" tune, I thought making it a Children's song would be great. Was wracking my brains on how to record it as child-like as possible (even thought of asking a kid to sing for me, haha!)
And that's when I discovered the cool sound effect - Helium Breath, in Garageband.
Was so happy!
*
There are 5 instruments in this track -
Me - vocals
Whirly - melody
Flute - counter-melody
Electric piano - chords
Drums (Pop kit) - beats
It was great doing the recording as I finally got to incorporate more than 1 instrument in my composition.
Playing around with the huge collection of instruments in the programme and hearing how the sounds blend is really addictive!
And I haven't even gotten to the part of adjusting those nitty gritty details in sound production e.g. reverb, etc.
Recording my voice was the most fun as I discovered that as the Helium Breath effect brings my voice 2 octaves higher, I would have to sing lower to avoid the "chipmunk" sound (but I've since discovered I could actually control how high the effect tweaks). Hilarious experience as I "drawled" as low as my vocal chords could bring me, heh.
Recording completed on 13 September 2007.
*
A satisfying music-writing experience. I'm quite proud of this song :D
Special thanks to Joanne for telling me about the in-built mic and many tips or I wouldn't have recorded this song till I get a real mic!
Thanks to Ivan for his recording and conversion to mp3 tips.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Nice one! We all really enjoyed it when you shared that with us at the songcraft meetup. The lyrics sounded too mature for a little girl to sing, but it doesn't mean it's not nice.
Thank you!
Yeah maybe I should do one in my "original" voice ;)
It's great to see you are making music with your Mac.
I can pass you the GarageBand JamPack World Music the next time I see you.
Have fun making music :)
That's the programme which offers more sounds izzit?
Thanks!
Post a Comment